Housewives on dope - Fabric softener sniffers

Eco products in Spain that are better for Chemical Sensitivity sufferers like myself

Dear citizens of the world,

I started to write this post last year while suffering from pneumonia. It was a bad experience, but I actually suffer more when I have an allergic reaction to chemical products. Unfortunately, I am very sensitive to chemicals in cleaning products, air fresheners, perfumes, paints, etc. Some doctors label it "Chemical sensitivity".

My "allergy" is not fully recognised and the only treatment seems to be to avoid chemicals as much as humanly possible.

As long as I avoid chemicals I can lead a normal life. It is not as easy as it sounds, especially when you are travelling or living abroad as an expat which is my case.

The picture above of products is thanks to years of searching throughout Spain for products that would not affect me as much as popular brands. They are actually cheaper than the more "chemical" brands. Now, after moving to Israel, I have to start the search all over again. There is a brand of cleaning products, Ecover, for cleaning that I have found (not so cheap). However, I am still looking for something to replace the Sanex Zero shower gel...

You may ask: What's the deal with chemical sensitivity?...Does an allergy to chemicals/perfumes really exist?

I can tell you, Yes it does exist!

Are you hooked on chemicals? Do you huff?

Just say no!

Many people (mostly housewives because they are in charge of most cleaning and house maintenance) have been duped and pressured into perfuming their homes with dozens of toxic products. These toxic chemicals are not regulated by anyone and are pushed by many multinational companies.

These products are actually addictive and dangerous!
"A recent report indicates that fabric softeners found in most homes are highly toxic. According to reports, fabric softeners are among the most toxic products to be manufactured for home use. Chemicals like chloroform, pentance and benzyl acetate are all known to cause damage to lungs, nerves and the brain; some chemicals found in fabric softeners are even known carcinogens."
http://www.insidershealth.com/img/upload/fabric-softener-toxic0.gif

I don't believe it! you say. How about this quote I took from a popular fabric softener website:

"When I first smelled the original scent years ago I was hooked The smell really does stay in the clothes about a week after the wash is done, I use all products with the original scent and the dryer sheets not only helps in the dryer, but in my car, the underwear drawers, as a liner in garbage pails, inside pillow cases. The list can go on and on, I am so in love with Gain. Sniff sniff hooray."

I'm your pusher!

The addiction to perfumes (like those used in fabric softeners and many other products) is the same thing as the glue-huffing street children. One is accepted, the other is considered to be sad.


For the record, I am not anti-multinational companies! So, "what do you want?", you may ask.

Ahhh! Thank you for asking. Here are my wishes:

1.) All chemical products (perfumes, cleaning products, industrial chemicals, etc.) should be regulated.

2.) Long-term testing should be done to find out the real affects of the chemicals on peoples lives.

3.) Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) should become a recognized health problem.

4.) Public venues such as schools, hotels, offices, etc should not be allowed to use chemical cleaning products that use perfumes. Hypoallergenic cleaning products?

The first step will be for people to learn the difference between:
Clean = not dirty, no smell
Perfumed = an additive (possibly toxic) smell that often times masks the lack of cleanliness

So far, my experience in Tel Aviv has been good, but it is a daily battle to avoid the barrage of "chemical attacks" and to find safe zones where I can let my guard down. Thank God there are lots of outdoor cafes!


-The United Statesian

Popular posts from this blog

Neck exercises for Long Covid-- Part Deux

A POTS/OI at-home, easy, free, safe rehab program hypothesis:

The Good and Bad Effects of Nicotine on the Brain and Body, from Neuroscience-Broscientist Andrew Huberman Ph.D. (Video/Podcast)