Squatting -- Chinese relaxation

Man squatting outside the Big Goose Pagoda -- Xian, China


Dear citizens of the world,

This post is about one of those cultural tidbits. Countries are beginning to look similar with the same shops (Walmart), cafes (Starbucks), fast food joints (McDonalds). However, there are still many things that can differenciate cultures or even shock while traveling.

My travel companion was astounded to see so many people squatting in China. Chinese people squat to rest, read a newspaper, talk on mobile phones, take pictures, and to use the WC but Westerners only associate squatting with bowl movements.

Researching the topic I found another post on squatting with a link to a page with the benefits of squatting. A fellow United Statesian posted (a technical) "Seven reasons to squat."

I have to admit that I am not so good at squating (lack of practice); however, it is an important skill for travelers. Lack of knowledge can even lead to injury!

My "squat story" happened on my recent trip to China. We were with a tour group on our way to the sacred mountain of Hua Shan. The minibus stopped and we had very little time to do our business. The facilities were a semi-closed concrete block with three porcelain holes -- no privacy. I went into full squat, did my best to not fall in the hole while ... , but when I got up again I realized that I had re-injured my thigh (an old cycling injury).

A trip to a sacred mountain of more then 2000 meters (with dizzyingly high cliffs) and my injury comes from squating in a public toilet... go figure. Before traveling, I should have read these instructions on how to use a squat toilet...

The next day in Xian, I saw a man in a toilet (no walls) who was squating, smoking and reading the newspaper... now that's talent!

The United Statesian

PS Got a squat story? Post a comment by clicking on the link just below...

Popular posts from this blog

Neck exercises for Long Covid-- Part Deux

A POTS/OI at-home, easy, free, safe rehab program hypothesis:

The Good and Bad Effects of Nicotine on the Brain and Body, from Neuroscience-Broscientist Andrew Huberman Ph.D. (Video/Podcast)